🎉 LEARN PIANO IN 2020: Now in its third year and with over 2100 videos, WRP has new content and a new piano blog article uploaded each week for beginning through advanced levels. Select from the affordable monthly or yearly membership plans. Check out our glowing Testimonials! See the bullet list and sample videos below for all you get when you become a member of WRP!
The Well-Rounded Pianist (WRP) offers piano students and teachers of all levels a plethora of resources and educational tools. It is operated by Cory and Marilyn Hall, who are both piano teachers. This page presents an introductory video, a bullet-point list all the features included in your WRP membership, 12 selected sample videos, and Cory & Marilyn’s bios. We invite you to become a member of WRP today and build a solid foundation in piano and musicianship! The following video provides an introduction to WRP:
What you get when you become a member of WRP
- Personalized assessment and recommended practice plan (for paid members only, not for free trial members). New gym memberships often include an initial consultation and assessment by a professional fitness trainer. WRP is no different. All new WRP members get a FREE personalized assessment and recommended practice plan based on the students’ level, current abilities, and particular goals. To learn more about this exciting option, please inquire to “Dr. Cory” via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)!
- Over 2000 high definition videos. 24/7 access to a current total of over 2000 videos not publicly available on YouTube.
- New content uploaded weekly. New content uploaded weekly (most weeks out of the year), which is listed in the weekly newsletter (see next bullet point).
- Weekly email newsletter. Each week (most weeks out of the year), members receive an email with new content uploaded as well as relevant news and announcements.
- Weekly blog. Cory posts weekly insights and articles on new content uploaded in the WRP Blog.
- Efficient system of organization. WRP uses an efficient system of organization (based on folders and sub-folders), which is much more efficient than endlessly searching through thousands of YouTube videos (many from unqualified teachers) and being bombarded with adds and suggested videos that divert your attention, and thus, cause you to waste valuable time.
- Real piano tutorials from an experienced piano teacher with over 35 years’ experience. WRP does not use any trendy or confusing apps or mechanical robots that teach only “notes” at the expense of more important expressive and technical issues.
- Instructional videos accompanying Dr. Hall’s bestselling book “Sight-Reading & Harmony.” The current count for videos accompanying SR&H is over 1000.
- Instructional videos demonstrating and teaching The BachScholar® Piano Method. This method is still in progress and currently being developed. Grades 1 and 2 are complete and there are currently some Grade 6 videos completed. Grades 3-6 are planned sometime in 2019 or 2020.
- Church hymns with embedded sheet music. Instructional videos of quality church hymns through the ages, which are excellent for learning to read chords, sight-reading, and understanding music theory. All hymn videos on WRP feature sheet music embedded into the videos.
- Traditional tutorials. In-depth tutorials on selected works from the standard piano repertoire from all style periods.
- “Super Slow” tutorials. BachScholar’s incredibly popular and practical “Super Slow” tutorial series discontinued on YouTube, but now made exclusively for WRP
- Ragtime Academy. “Super Slow” videos, tutorials, and exercises in ragtime and related styles from one of the world’s leading interpreters of classic ragtime
- Music theory videos & lectures on a college-grade whiteboard. Music theory and harmony taught from an experienced composer/arranger and expert in music theory.
- Great Pianists of Yesteryear. Vintage live footage videos of the leading pianists, many of them legendary, from the earlier to mid 20th century.
- Free sheet music for members. WRP is full of links to free sheet music on music being played and discussed.
12 selected sample videos (private for WRP members, not on YouTube)
- GRADE 1: Note-reading exercise by Czerny (RH)
- GRADE 1: Note-reading exercise by Czerny (LH)
- GRADE 2: Note-reading exercise by Köhler
- D Major Scale in Double 3rds (from “The BachScholar® Piano Method” “Daily Exercises”)
- Part 1 of Chorale No. 3 from “24 Easy Four-Part Chorales” by J.S. Bach
- “O Come, O Come Emmanuel” from “The English Hymnal”
- Easy trick to learning the circle of 5ths (sharp keys)
- Music theory lecture on major and parallel minor scales
- Part 1 of the ongoing multi-video series on Bach’s “Goldberg Variations”
- Part 1 of a 7-part series on Schumann’s “Träumerei”
- Scott Joplin and Louis Chauvin’s “Heliotrope Bouquet” played “Super Slow”
- Tutorial on the first piece from Aaron Copland’s “Four Piano Blues”
Bios of Cory & Marilyn Hall
ABOUT CORY: Dr. Cory Hall is one of the world’s most sought-after and respected piano teachers, having produced over 1100 performance and tutorial videos for YouTube since 2008 on the BachScholar® YouTube channel, which currently has over 100,000 subscribers around the world and whose videos have a current total of over 50 million views. He currently has over 35 years’ piano teaching experience. Cory, arguably one of the most “well-rounded” pianists in the world (hence, the title of the current website), has expertise in an impressively wide variety of areas including: general classical piano music, sight-reading, music theory and composition, music arranging, music engraving and typesetting, music publishing, Bach chorales, church hymns, ragtime, systematic piano technique. Four years after achieving fame on YouTube, in 2012, he established his Skype teaching business. In just a couple years Cory built up a full studio of students from the United States to Australia to Norway to Hong Kong. He is currently #1 on Google under the search “piano lessons Skype.” He has taught students of all ages (currently his youngest is 5 and oldest is 82). Cory earned the Doctor of Musical Arts (Piano) and Master of Music in Historical Musicology (Music History) from the University of Kansas, Master of Music in Performance and Literature (Piano) from the Eastman School of Music, and Bachelor of Music (Piano) from California State University, Sacramento. Between his residencies at Eastman and the University of Kansas, Cory taught piano for three years at the Musikschule Wilhelmshöhe, a community music school near Kassel, Germany, where he learned fluent German and became immersed in German culture. His comprehensive list of piano teachers and masterclass mentors include: Aline Asmundson, Louise Savage, Gene Savage, Thomas Gentry, Bradford Gowen, David Burge, Richard Reber, John Perry, Daniel Pollack, Nelita True, Claude Frank, Abbey Simon. Cory served for 11 years as an adjunct professor at two colleges (St. Petersburg College, Eckerd College) as well as 10 years as church organist (Anona United Methodist Church in Largo, Florida) until resigning from all posts to focus on the founding and development of BachScholar Publishing, LLC. Cory is currently organist for Sunday services and pianist for Saturday evening services at Grace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in St. Petersburg, Florida. In addition to teaching piano worldwide via Skype and developing and maintaining The Well-Rounded Pianist, Cory produces and publishes books and resources for pianists and organists through BachScholar Publishing.
ABOUT MARILYN: Marilyn Hall began her musical studies in St. Petersburg, Florida at the age of 5 under Eileen Mattioli, and currently has 25 years’ piano teaching experience. During her formative years, she participated in numerous recitals, Florida State festivals, competitions, church and chamber groups. She continued her studies with Mrs. Mattioli until age 18 and subsequently as a piano performance/pedagogy major with Professor Larry McCann at St. Petersburg College and Dr. Averill Summer at the University of South Florida. In addition to holding degrees in piano performance/pedagogy, Marilyn has also earned a Bachelors Degree in Marketing and a Masters Degree in Psychology. While teaching private piano at “Mattioli School of Music and Arts”, she also worked full-time for a major Fortune 500 Corporation for 17 years. Marilyn has also studied clarinet, violin, and cello. Her violin and cello studies were under renowned cellist and pianist Christine Hartley with whom she helped facilitate a children’s orchestral strings group. Marilyn is currently Associate Director of Music at Grace Lutheran Church & School (LCMS) in St. Petersburg, Florida where she teaches music classes for pre-k through eighth grade (2-13 years), directs the adult and youth handbell choirs, directs the “New Song Band” (a contemporary church chamber group), and accompanies for the adult chapel choir.